The End


I was a voracious reader as a child. But then adulthood happened, and I still read...but never as much as I feel I ought to. But when I do read, I stick almost entirely to classics. Last year I slogged my way though Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. Ugh. Really, that is one depressing book. Then I read something short and pleasurable, the title of which I can't recall. Then I moved on to Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment, on the recommendation of a young friend, who avows it to be his favorite book. I think I started it about June of last year. It traveled with me twice to California (hence, the damaged spine...and leather too...just makes me ill), and I finally finished it in this, my quiet month of January. I must confess that it is far from my favorite book. It does end well (spoiler alert), but you do have to wait until the very, very end. I think it will be a long time before I try out another Russian author.

I'm thinking of working through the works of various British authors this year...mostly poets. Any recommendations?

What are you currently reading?

10 comments:

  1. Anything by Wilkie Collins. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about Forever Amber? I read this when I was an older teenager and from it I learned a lot about England during the second half of the 1600's. Here's an Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Forever-Rediscovered-Classics-Kathleen-Winsor/dp/1556524048

    I enjoy your blog, although I don't comment often.

    Judy, from Pennsylvania

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hidden Art of Homemaking by Edith Schaeffer was amazing. Thanks so much for the suggestion! Also reading through all 7 Chronicles of Narnia and am currently on The Horse and His boy. Sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to read a classic every year. Last year was Middlemarch. Good but too long for my taste. I'm thinking Dickens maybe for this year or Shakespeare. I'm reading Kate Morton's The Lake House right now and so far so good! I enjoy her books a lot.

    Adorable baby clothes!! And loved the sleigh ride too! I pinned both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...Ive had Middlemarch recommended to me. I might have to add it to my list!

      Delete
  5. In college, I really enjoyed Gerard Manley Hopkins(decried by a friend of mine as overly simplistic, but I think the simplicity of his poetry is part of what makes it beautiful and accessible), T. S. Eliot, Alfred Tennyson, John Milton, Edmund Spencer, John Donne, and Thomas Hardy (among others), but it's been years since reading anything by these fellows. Several of the old British hymn writers were really brilliant poets too (e.g. William Cowper, William Gadsby, Charles Wesley, Isaac Watts, William How). Hope you find some fun things to read. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...