Think Pink

When Max and I went to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston last month, we passed a sign for a special exhibit called “Think Pink”, and this dress was featured on the sign:



Ooooo!  I informed him, “Before we leave, I have to see that dress!”    So, at the end of our visit, we found the exhibit room.  He took one look at a pink room filled with pink clothing, and said, “I’m staying out here,” and found himself a seat on a leather settee. Much to my surprise, the beautiful, 18th century dress that enticed me to the exhibit was a doll’s dress and no more than 12″ high.  But it was ever sooo exquisite!
The entire exhibit was focused on the history of the color pink in fashion.  (The lighting was dim in the room, as is frequently the case to protect delicate textiles, so my photos are just a bit blurry.)  Down the center of the room was an impressive array of pink gowns through the ages.


This man’s suit dates to the 18th century.  The placard explained that the color pink was used interchangeably for boys and girls without distinction until the 1920′s.


This sweet little child’s dress from the 1830′s was my favorite piece of the day.  It was unknown whether it was a boy or a girl’s gown, since boys were often put in gowns until they were about five years old.  I’d love to try to replicate this dress for the shop someday.


This beautiful Gatsby-era gown was one of the loveliest in the collection.  The mix of pink and gold, accented by black, and ever so sparkly made it just a stunner.



A sweet baby set.



Another one of my favorites was this gown from the 1830′s.  Its vibrant color comes from being dyed in either cochineal or madder.  Cochineal is a beetle, and madder is a root.



And another glimpse at the line-up of gowns.  The one just to the left was made in 2001 (as I recall).  And the one to the right is an Oscar de la Renta couture piece, also recently made.



Tomorrow, in honor of Valentine’s Day, I’ll be posting one more piece from this exhibit on Facebook.  To see it, just “like” Wonderful Life Farm on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...