Butter

“I think one of the terrible things today is that people have this deathly fear of food: fear of eggs, say, or fear of butter. Most doctors feel that you can have a little bit of everything.” – Julia Child
In our family, we ditched margarine with its host of ingredients one can’t pronounce, in favor of butter with its natural simplicity (ingredients: cream and salt).  Even though we made this change years ago, it wasn’t quite what I wanted.
What I really wanted was butter made from the cream that came from grass-fed cows.  I’d even be willing to make it myself, if I could just find a source for cream from pastured cows.  But, alas, even the CSA’s in our area of the country don’t offer that.
And then, voila!  While shopping at our local, gourmet market, I discovered this!
I was thrilled!  As you can note on the package, it’s only made from May to September, when the cows are most likely to be pastured (due to weather).  The store had some stock left, and the price was reduced tremendously, so I snatched up a half-dozen.  Wow!  What a difference in taste and color!  Such a strong, buttery taste (almost a cheese-like flavor) and about twice as yellow as standard butter.  Currently, we’re just using it as a spreading butter, and not in baking.  But I’m thrilled to be able to provide our family with the healthier benefits!
If you’re interested in reading more, click here to read an article on the health benefits of pastured butter.
Side note: I also read that Kerrygold makes a butter from pastured cows, and it’s available at Trader Joe’s.  I have not yet checked that out.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, on Kerrygold.

    Also, I have a private source for raw milk (award winning dairy in NH, 10 miles east of Concord). message me if interested.

    deb meyers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Deb! I just bought some Kerrygold at Trader Joe's, but haven't tried it yet. Can't wait. And thanks for the offer of the raw milk. I do have a source close to me for that, but can't quite convince the rest of the family to jump on the bandwagon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...