Cooking & Baking Day

Last Saturday, I declared a day of cooking and baking.  A whole day.  A FULL day.  In actuality, it started Friday when I cooked two chickens into chicken stock (and cooked chicken, of course)…


…and cooked a spiral-sliced ham I bought for more than 50% off at the grocery store.
So I awakened Saturday morning, ready to tackle the day.  First I made 18 cups of granola.


Then I made nearly three dozen cinnamon rolls (shown here before frosting).  I try to make cinnamon rolls once a winter, preferably on a snowy day.  My recipe is a mock-Cinnabon recipe, and once they’re baked and frosted, you can wrap them individually and put them in the freezer.  The night before you want one, you pull it out to thaw overnight.  Then in the morning, you pop it in the microwave for 30 secs., and it’s just perfect!  Click here or the source of the recipe.


Then I made half a dozen quiches for the freezer using some of the spiral-sliced ham.  Now we have three for an upcoming baby shower brunch, two for guests coming in March, and one for ourselves.  Here are the quiche fixings: ham, asparagus, red bell pepper, and mushrooms (and there was also onion and garlic in each).  The recipe I use is here, although this time, I added a generous splash of whipping cream and/or half-n-half to each one.


All of the above was completed by about 5:00 p.m., which was good because I needed to move on to making chicken pot pies, and some of those were for dinner that night.  So utilizing my chicken stock and cooked chicken from the day before, I made: four individual pot pies for dinner, one large one (serving 6-8) for the freezer, and one small one (serving 3-4) for the freezer.  Plus, I had about 12 cups of leftover chicken stock, which I then divided into one-cup portions and froze.  Mmmm…warm and nourishing food was my dinner reward for a day of hard work!


I started cooking at 9 a.m. and finished with clean-up at 9:00 p.m.  Whew!  It was a hard day’s work, but it was very gratifying to come downstairs to the tidy kitchen the next morning, knowing that the freezer was well-stocked with homemade goodness, AND that Sunday was a day or rest!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a day, good for you! I'll be trying some of those recipes, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...