Squirreling

It’s that time of year again.  Like a squirrel with acorns, I need to store away food for the next year…until summer’s fresh goodness is growing in the garden again and markets and farm stands are selling their bounty.  It’s an instinct with me…a really strong instinct!
Yesterday evening, Colette and I processed a bushel of corn into 14 meal-size bags for the freezer.
And today I set aside for “food processing day”, which turned out to be about 11 hours in the kitchen.  But what a lot was accomplished!  The freezer is filling up!
I got 13 cups (frozen individually) of homemade chicken stock from a rotisserie chicken carcass and herbs fresh-picked from the garden.
A half bushel of peaches from a local farm stand became 8 gallon bags of peach pie filling.  Whew!  Peaches are a lot of work.  I only process peaches about every two years.  Those in-between years give me time to forget how much work they are!
And the striped tomatoes became 9 (1-cup) bags of fresh salsa.
Tomorrow, it’s pesto making day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...