Costume Exhibit

A few weeks ago, I attended the costume exhibit at Strawbery Banke in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Here’s a glimpse at the beautiful, historic clothing I saw.


Two of my favorites of the day were from the 1880′s, one of my favorite time periods for fashion.



This is a busk. For women of the 1700′s, a busk was part of their corset. It slipped down the middle-front of their stays and was made of wood, bone, etc.. This one was made of ivory and was intricately carved.


This is a lady’s pocket. In the 1700′s, women’s clothing had no built-in pockets. But they did have slits in the sides to insert one’s hand through and reach the pocket (as seen below), which was tied around the waist.


A beautiful dress from the 1830′s:


I loved this detail-intensive Spencer jacket from the early 1800′s. Ah ha! There’s proof I was there…in the mirror!


Big and little dresses from the early 1800′s:



And here’s the description and pictures of my favorite dress of the day…a wedding gown!




All soooo lovely!


4 comments:

  1. It always amazes me how detailed and carefully constructed things use to be. These pictures are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I wish we could dress like this still today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Gorgeous cream coloured dress, did you by chance take a full length photo of that dress, I would love to recreate it. I have been all over the internet trying to find more photos of that dress, with out any luck.
    Thank you Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Judy. There are a couple of cream colored dresses in this posting. I'm assuming you mean the one in the third photo (1880's) since the last dress does have a full length photo. If I took a full length one of that, it's been archived onto a disc somewhere. Sorry. I was able to find a side/back view and a train shot by googling "Strawberry Banke Victorian dress" and clicking on "images". I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...