Autumn Exploring


Last week I did a little autumn exploring. My goal was to go to the costume exhibit at Strawbery Banke in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, but I did a little meandering along the way.

I stopped at one of my favorite antique stores, which was all decorated for autumn.


This was a most impressive orchard ladder that the store was selling. It was the tallest I’d ever seen…at least 1 1/2 stories high! I didn’t buy the ladder, but I did buy a small strap of sleigh bells to attach to the back of Theo’s pull-along sled!


Then I stopped in at this antique store in an old barn. Lots of fascinating stuff here…old books, engravings, butter churns, Shaker chairs, art work, and even an old, metal bathtub…pretty good prices too!


Next it was a quick stop at the Stonewall Kitchen flagship store in York, Maine.


My last stop was my real destination for the day, Strawbery Banke!


Strawbery Banke is a living history museum that portrays the history of Portsmouth, NH from the 1600′s to the 1940′s. The museum is comprised of historic homes and buildings that have been moved onto the site. Here’s a glimpse at just a small part of the museum.


I’ll save the pictures of the costume exhibit for another posting, and just share a few photos of other parts of the museum in this one. Here’s a pretty fountain, the centerpiece of a lovely, well-tended Victorian garden outside of a Victorian home (not the home in the background).


In in the kitchen of that Victorian home, there was an impressive dill plant hung to dry. I remember, when I was a child, my mom grew some dill one summer. She stored it just inside the door into our garage, and I loved to smell the fragrant aroma of that dill everytime I went through the door. Inspired by this dill plant, I yanked up my own homegrown dill the very next day and hung it up in the pantry. Big mistake! The next morning I had hundreds of itty-bitty green bugs (smaller than a flax seed) crawling all over the pantry wall where the dill was hung! Ugh! The vacuum cleaner took care of them, the dill went outside, and I don’t think I’ll be trying that idea again. But their dill spray was gorgeous!


Beautiful autumn leaves!


Anytime there is an opportunity to see a hearth cooking demonstration, I’m there! Strawbery Banke has a great cooking hearth and it’s always attended by very knowledgeable staff.


This staff member was making an onion tart, or what we would refer to today as a quiche. I happened to spot two eggs in the ashes and inquired about them. She explained that she was roasting eggs! I had never heard of such a thing and so asked lots of questions. She explained that they would be like a hard-boiled egg when they were finished, but “taste so much better!” She told me that you have to be careful not to put them too close to the fire, or they will explode. I was curious to know how long it would take to cook them. She said it would take about four hours, since they couldn’t get too close to the fire. But if you wanted to cook them faster, you could start them out farther away and gradually move them closer to the fire.


The beauty of autumn in the kitchen and pantry!



Pretty late summer flowers against the backdrop of the museum’s oldest home.


When I was finished at Strawbery Banke, I took a quick stroll down the leaf-strewn brick sidewalks of Portsmouth. I had a destination in mind.


Destination?…our favorite bakery cafe and sweets to take home to the family!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...