This Summer's Garden


My garden planning got off to a slow start this year. Mostly this was due to the lack of snow. I know that sounds like an excuse. And it is, I suppose. But garden planning is best done on a day when it’s simply dumping snow outside, with a steaming cup of hot cocoa or tea at my side. So I kept waiting for snow…and waiting. And finally I just gave up and planned on yet another sunny day. And then Technohubby broke his hip. And then we went to the wedding. And finally when we got back, I ordered seeds. I’ve never ordered seeds so late, so I was practically dancing with joy when all the seeds I wanted were in stock and available for immediate shipment!

This is what will be growing in the garden this year:

-Amish Snap Peas (growing on the trellis; wll pick whole and freeze whole; destined for quick sautes)

-Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans (growing on the trellis; will freeze most and eat the rest as soon after picking as possible)

-Quadrato Asti Giallo Bell Peppers (green bell peppers that “ripen very slowly to golden-yellow”, but are just as good when picked green; plan to freeze lots of these this year, because I’m tired of buying bell peppers at the store)

-Scarlet Nantes Carrots (our favorites; will freeze and/or bury in sand nearly the entire harvest)

-Yellow Onions (will purchase onion sets from the local nursery; some will be used in salsa; will braid most and hang them in the basement)

-Giant from Italy Parsley (will use fresh and also chop and freeze)

-Cilantro (will use in salsa to freeze; and will chop and freeze the rest)

-Genovese Basil (need to plant much more of this than I did last year; most of this will find its way into pesto for the freezer; will chop and freeze lots too)

-Waltham Butternut Squash (first year planting winter squash; said to be “an excellent keeper”, I plan to store these in the basement)

-Table Queen Acorn Squash (will store in the basement to keep the butternuts company)

-Green Oakleaf Lettuce (one of our favorites; dates from the 1880′s)

-Forellenschluss Lettuce (a.k.a. – Speckled Trout Back because its flecked with maroon spots; an Austrian heirloom)

-Mantilla Lettuce (a “large chartreuse butterhead”)

-Jalapeno, Traveler Strain (very reliable producer that we plant year after year for salsa to freeze)

-Brandywine Tomatoes (for eating morning, noon, and night!)

-Siberian Tomatoes (my favorite paste tomatoes; will use for salsa; and, if I plant enough, for spaghetti sauce too)

-Chinese Miniature Pumpkins (to grow on the trellis)

-Golden Zucchini (first year planting these; looking forward to them on the grill with a bit of olive oil and fresh herbs)

-Black Beauty Zucchini (our favorite year after year)

Yum! I can hardly wait…especially for the tomatoes!

3 comments:

  1. Do you still have seeds for your Mantilla lettuce? If so, where did you get them. I've been searching for years to find some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh...I'm so sorry, but I don't have any seeds left. I couldn't say for certain where I purchased them. I usually purchase all my seeds from Seed Savers Exchange, but a quick look just showed me that they aren't offering them this year. Sorry I can 't be more help. I hope you find them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...