Give Us This Day

It was all about bread.

Felicity came over to spend the day with us.  Her particular kitchen specialty is sandwiches.  She is a sandwich connoisseur!  Today's epicurean delight was Boar's Head Oven-Roasted Chicken and mozzarella on crusty bread spread with a mixture of mayonnaise and honey-mustard.  This mouth-watering creation was put in the panini press, and then served with Cape Cod chips and organic baby carrots.  Delish!



For her "homesteading skills" course this year, Colette is studying and practicing bread baking.  Today she tried her hand at the no-knead bread from the New York Times.  (Technohubby says, "If you don't knead it, why are we making it."  Haha!)  Her first attempt has turned out a bit flatter than she liked, but it certainly looked beautiful in all its flour-y glory basking in the afternoon sunshine.



I've tried this recipe before, and can never get it to rise enough to suit me.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

5 comments:

  1. I am not good at making bread so I have no suggestions. It does look good though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kste... I make the same bread often.. We love it as it tastes like the bread that my husband and I ate as children..
    Once I take it out of the bowl and shape it to be ready for the oven I usually let it rise (covered in a warm spot) for a couple of hours before I turn on the oven and get the cast iron hot... It rises more than if you take it right out of the bowl and shape it and then into the caat iron.

    Blessings from The Blessed Hearth...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carmen - Thanks! I'll pass your kind words onto Colette!

    Faye - Thank you SO much! That may be just the tip! Makes sense to me. Colette and I actually attended a 1-hr. class at our local co-op on this bread; not that I thought we needed the class to make it, but just because I thought it would be fun. Well, we took the class and we're still having trouble. But the woman, obviously, could not take the bread through all the processes in one hour, so she had it at very stages. But her finished bread had risen nicely, and we just can't get ours to do that. But she did keep saying things like, "Oh the times are just approximate, if it has to sit there longer, it will be fine." So, hers must sit there longer all the time! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings from Southern California.

    I added myself to follow your blog.
    You are more than welcome to visit mine
    and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You, ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings from New England! Glad to have you as a blog follower! You're blog looks great!

    Welcome!
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...