Fabric Shopping

One of the highlights of any trip back to southern California for me is a day-long trip to the L.A. Fabric District.  Blocks upon blocks upon blocks of nothing but fabric and trim shops!  Be still my fabric-loving heart!


There are some stores that are devoted solely to decorator fabrics.  Several different fabrics came home with me from this store.  And despite what the sign says, I'm sure heaven will be much more wonderful than the L.A. Fabric District.  But I did find this sign amusing.


Silks, silks, and more silks!  If you've never sewn with silk, there's just nothing like it!  So soft to the touch.  So compliant to the fingertips.  Gathers like a dream!  Holds its own...in an understated way.


Other stores are devoted to primarily fashion fabrics.  Every color linen imaginable can be found in the Fabric District.


Intermingling with the proper silks and demure linens are an equal amount of outrageous fabrics.  The fashion design students from the nearby Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising (FIDM), movie industry costume designers, and theatre costumers shop here for sometimes quite outlandish fabrics (pink and purple spotted fake fur, for instance).  All your mermaid needs can be met in a single store!


And then there are the trim shops!  Eyelet lace, black braid trim, beaded trim, alencon lace, feathered trim, and more can be had in shops stacked floor to ceiling and side to side with every trimming imaginable.


Here is my box of beautiful velvet ribbons that came home with me.


I shopped all day long and filled two 14" x 14" x 14" boxes with fabrics, trims, and buttons (Oh...the button shops, too!) and shipped them home.  The first of the boxes arrived today!  Lots of items for my Etsy shop will be coming from this shopping trip.  Let the sewing begin!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like such a fun day - and I live close enough to go! Thanks too, for sharing your great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that there's no place else in the U.S. like the L.A. Fabric District! I believe it. I tried to find the Boston Fabric District. It is ONE store. Sigh. But you do live close enough to go. You'll LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...