Spools Organized

I have always wanted Technohubby to build me a nearly flat cabinet in which to store spools of thread.  But then I saw an even better idea!  I saw a blog posting of a woman who kept her thread organized by color in glass jars.  I was inspired!  What a great idea!  You can see what you have at a glance, you won’t have to paw through the box of thread (as I’ve been doing for years!), and they will be kept clean!  And oh, oh, oh…the colors and the organization of it all!

Yesterday, I found these fantastic old canning jars (the type that aren’t safe to use anymore for canning) for a steal at an antique store.  And this morning, I pulled out the jumbled box of thread spools and set to work sorting them by color.  I felt like a little kid again.  But when I was a kid, it was crayons.  I remember loving to look at the colors of crayons in the jumbo crayon box, and sorting them all out on the floor by colors, and then putting aside those colors I didn’t like (like orange), and then making a little pile of favorites (silver and seafoam green were always there).  Same concept, but now it’s thread.


I had only purchased four jars, so some thread got to go live in their new homes, but the rest had to return to the box, but in a more organized manner.


The blues, however, are out of control.  Who would’ve expected it from demure blues?  Too many of them!  They will need a large jar indeed!


I love it!  Huge improvement!  The pinks, the oranges/reds, the grays/silvers, and the burgundies were all organized now.


And this afternoon, I stopped back by the antique store and purchased four more jars, so now the browns, blacks, golds/yellows, and the seafoam greens have a place to live now too.  Seafoam green…some things never change.

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea Kate, and I have to say they look nicer in the jars than on those wooden spool racks they sell:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yes, that was my immediate response when I saw that idea too...much better than spool racks. I wish I could remember where I saw it, so I could give proper credit where credit is due...but alas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I have a box of jars in the mini attic above my pantry just waiting for a chance to be used ~ my sewing/craft studio space is on the project list for after the holidays! Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad it inspired you! I'm hoping to do some serious organizing in my sewing room after Christmas too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...