More Christmas Stockings in the Shop

I've been spending many hours in the sewing room lately whipping up Christmas stockings for my shop.  A trio of Victorian/shabby chic stockings in soft pinks and beiges:



And I made two stockings from a 19th century French grainsack.  Ohhh...the texture!  When it comes to fabric, it's all about the texture for me.  And there's just nothing that competes with the texture of antique linen like this!


When I first purchased the grainsack, I had to take it apart at the seams.  What a job that was!  The seams contained the original fabric's selvage and was tightly stitched together (probably with some stout needle...like a sailmaker's needle).  I even broke one seam ripper trying to get the stitches out.  I pulled most of the snipped threads out, but gave up on removing them all.  And I'm so glad I left some, because I used that selvage with dangling threads for the bottom of the stocking's cuff.


It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here...well, at least in the sewing room.

6 comments:

  1. I've been enjoying your blog after following a comment you left at Pleasantview Schoolhouse. Those stockings are just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, appledapple! I'm glad you've been visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh, the grainsack one is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...